Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Product Review - Stila Smudge Crayon


So here is another Stila product review. I have really been loving my Stila products lately - both new products, as well a older ones that I have rediscovered in my collection. The Stila Smudge Crayon is a waterproof eye primer, shadow, and liner in one. It is one of those multi-purpose eye products that is supposed to do it all for you! I would say these are along the lines of the NYX Jumbo Eye Pencils or the Tarte SmolderEyes Amazonian Clay liners (the chubby ones).

I believe this is a relatively newish product from Stila. I believe I got my first one back in early 2012. Since then, I have accumulated four different colours and they are all gorgeous!

The colours I have are:
  • Umber - A deep reddish brown, on the burgandy side. 
  • Pink Violet - Just like the name says, a pinkish violet. Really pretty on brown eyes.
  • Smoke - The first one I bought - this is a taupey-grey. It is less green-ish than the swatch below may be showing. It is really pretty smudged allover the lid.
  • Kitten - This is another product in Stila's iconic colour Kitten, which is a pretty champagne shade. This is pretty for allover the lid, but also for in the inner corner and for highlighting under the brow. 
The other colours (that I do not have) are:
  • Black
  • Dazzle
  • Midnight Blue
top to bottom: Umber, Pink Violet, Smoke, Kitten


That little cap at the end? There is a little sharpener in it. This is a twist up product, so technically sharpening is not required, but I suppose you could use this to create a pointed tip to the product in order to get a more precise line. I've never actually used the sharpener, but it is there. Personally, I would prefer a smudger instead of the sharpener, especially since it is called a Smudge Crayon, but of course I can use my finger or another brush to blend out the edges.

This product claims to be waterproof. So I did put it to the test. I would probably say that these are actually water resistant, not waterproof. After putting the above swatches on my wrist, I put my had under the faucet. While the swatches held up quite well under the running water, I did not have to rub very hard at all to get the colour to move. However, a few tears or some light rain would likely not create a problem at all for this product. 

Final thoughts? Well I really like these for smudging around the lashline. This is mainly how I wear Umber and Pink Violet. I like to blend Smoke in as a lid colour, and I like to use Kitten as a highlighter on the inner tear duct area. I'm not a fan of the darker colours as either a primer or a shadow because they set a bit stiff, if that makes sense. If I want to use a pencil product for an allover lid colour, or as a deeper coloured primer, I would probably reach for my Tarte SmolderEyes over these, but I love these for a smudged out eyeliner look. If this is what you are looking for, I would highly recommend. 

Have you ever tried any of the Stila Smudge Crayons? I would love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. I've never tried Stila products, but I do like the look of these pencils. The colors are nice.

    ReplyDelete