Thursday, May 2, 2013

Top 5 - Highlighters

I think highlighting products are my favourites! I might have said that for lipsticks and / or blushes as well, but highlighters are so beautiful and are just so fun to purchase. I've accumulated several, but here are my top 5.

clockwise from top left: Dior Amber Diamond, Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc in Pink Mosaic, Stila All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten, It Cosmetics Hello Light Powder Illuminizer, theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer
l to r: Dior Amber Diamond,  Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc in Pink Mosaic, Stila All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten - lighter side, Stila All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten - darker side, It Cosmetics Hello Light Powder Illuminizer, theBalm Mary Lou-Manizer

It has been really interesting doing these top 5 posts, because in each of them (blush, lipstick, and now highlighters), I have been able to notice trends in my preferences. Based on the swatches above, I obviously really like the more peachy/pinky, skintone highlights, rather than the white highlights such as MAC's Lightscapade. 

Some closer shots and my thoughts on each:



Ahh Dior Amber Diamond. A favourite amongst many. The first time I ever saw Amber Diamond, I was at an airport duty free shop, and as I often treat myself to high-end makeup at duty free shops, I grabbed it and ran to the check-out counter. It wasn't until I had arrived home that I opened my package and realized that in my eagerness, I had grabbed a pressed powder instead :( I was so disappointed and the worst was that it was not even my shade, and this was way before I had ever heard of using a darker powder for contouring. I gave it to my mom. A few years later, I bought the real thing and have been loving it ever since.

This Laura Mercier Shimmer Bloc was probably my first highlighting product ever. I remember drooling over this at my Holt Renfrew for so long before breaking down and handing over my $40+ (it is $49 now, but I'm thinking back then it may have been less?). I think it was worth it though because I'm sure it was close to seven years ago, and I still love it.


Stila's All Over Shimmer Duo in Kitten is newer to my collection. I am a big fan of the other kitten products (eyeshadow, and lip gloss in particular), so I wanted to give this a try. This is very nice in that it gives you options, and could actually be your blush colour as well. I really enjoy using it.


It might be obvious if you have read a few of my blog posts, but I'm obsessed with IT Cosmetics. I just think pretty much every product they make is so amazing, and I think the Hello Light Powder Illuminizer is maybe one of my absolute favourites (it's soooo hard to choose!). This is the prettiest, most natural looking highlight, it's just gorgeous. Well, actually they do have a cream highlighting product that is the same colour, but in a cream form, and that one may be a little more natural, due to the creamy finish, but I prefer the powder as I often wear a powder foundation. It is just a bit easier to apply in my opinion. But this is a must-have for me. I love it! 

Add caption

Mary Lou-Manizer from theBalm is the most obvious and over-the-top out of my top 5, and this one is not an everyday choice for me, but I use it on nights out. There is a lot of buzz about this product, and it definitely lives up to the hype and more, in my opinion. It is so pretty. Just use a light hand, and good lighting! 

Well that ended up being quite a long post. If you made it to the end, thanks for reading!

Tell me, what highlighters do you love?

See my Top 5 - Lipsticks post here.

See my Top 5 - Blushes post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment